Provider Profiles: James Murphy, Pathfinder Labs

In this series, we highlight those working in the Veteran and Military communities to help make reintegration and life a little better for everyone. We wanted to ask some of the common questions about how they got to where they are and how they inspire others to do more.

Interviewer: Stacey Ebert, Veteran Support Network

Organization: Pathfinder Labs

Title: Resource Affairs Officer

Why Veterans? I grew up in NY and spent a lot of time with my Grandparents and other family members of their generation. I always enjoyed my time with them – it felt as if they were all like the characters in It’s A Wonderful Life. While that’s what it felt like, I noticed something else, and later learned that that something else was Post Traumatic Stress (PTS). In my own friendships with veterans, I often heard haunting stories and was affected by the knowledge that it didn’t feel like there was a ‘safe’ outlet and that the transition to civilian life was incredibly difficult. After September 2001, I talked to friends who were activating their status about the prospect of enlisting myself. Each one told me the same thing. While sharing which branch they believed to be best, each said that if I felt it was best for me to definitely join the military, or that I could support them by building a better country, help while they’re on tour, and help in their transition back to civilian life when they completed their active service. Ever since those conversations, I’ve tried to do just that.


What got you interested in this organization (if you started the organization - what inspired you to do so)? Six years ago, through a mutual friend at another NYC NGO, I met Elana Duffy. At that time, I was in the midst of multiple municipal infrastructure projects and was intrigued with the mission of Pathfinder and how it aligned with what I was trying to do with local and state governments. When Elana was ready to expand the footprint and tech of Pathfinder, I felt that I truly needed to be a part of that ‘Do More’.


What's your favorite thing about working in this field? I have an intricate understanding of the intersection of the public and private sectors and know that it’s often difficult to connect fully with those who make the final decisions. I enjoy communicating with others and pride myself on connecting with the knowledge that we can do so much together by sharing similarities and experiences that remind us all that while we have experiences that differentiate each of us, we often want the same things. I love learning from others with different perspectives and experiences and treasure the opportunity to build connections with those whose life stories do not mimic mine.


How has community service involvement impacted your life? I believe community service gives each and every one of us an opportunity to be a better person. Oftentimes, community service activism has the power to shift our perspective, provide us with a chance to pause and truly develop as an individual. In my experience, listening to others’ life stories, perspectives, and experiences is an extraordinarily impactful method of personal growth and development and that often takes place during community service involvement. In my own experience, engaging in community service awakened me to a pattern of constantly wondering how I would do something, forced me to listen, and more often than not, shift my perspective, and always learn something new.


Why should veterans and families use these services? I recognize that today, the most common way for people to appreciate suggestions is through a trusted, common group. We all follow certain authors, directors, travelers, creatives that are important to us. These ‘follows’ actually help to grow our cohorts, friendships, and even our brands. While there may be multiple options and resources available to transitioning veterans and their families, Pathfinder provides a unique experience to the user through web-based/mobile/in-person applications for and by veterans and their communities. I’m especially fond of the mobile app platform which enables small businesses to reach this community in a special way - by creating their own page. Users never pay to be a Pathfinder. Data collection is ANONYMOUS, yet the audience specific. This platform, this business, this community is essentially a place where discounts, deals and all kinds of offerings all across the country can be found. It is our hope that joining the Pathfinder community can help to make the transition experience a little bit easier and a whole lot more welcoming.


What, in your opinion, is the most important thing soon-to-be-Veterans and their families should consider before leaving military service? Pathfinder, and it's multiple platforms for MilVets, offers something outside of traditional paths and provides an avenue, a voice to share experiences ANONYMOUSLY. Here, the community shares schools, programs, organizations, companies, providers, and spaces that can help in the transition process. This is an actionable way to help leverage those intricate skills, talents, abilities, and experiences that make each new veteran unique and vital to the workforce and community. Reaching out to those who have been through or are going through a similar process and those who have helped them is a great way to access resources and practices that can help develop professional and personal connections.


Why this person: Jim is Pathfinder's Resource Affairs Officer. With a background in social and sustainable enterprise development, Jim uses his knowledge of business and technology to add good to the world. You'll find him connecting people together, engaging with global issues, and enjoying life in the Pacific Northwest.