Provider Profiles: Mark Otto, USMC, United War Veterans Council

In this series, we highlight those working in the Veteran and Military communities to help make reintegration and life a little better for everyone. We wanted to ask some of the common questions about how they got to where they are and how they inspire others to do more.

Interviewer: Stacey Ebert, Veteran Support Network

Photo Credit: Adriane Calvache 

  Title: President/Executive Director 

Why Veterans? I served as an enlisted Marine from 1988-92. When I was discharged, there really was no process to prepare us for the transition to civilian life. Support options were limited as well. I visited a high school friend on the New York Stock Exchange who introduced me to his boss that was a Vietnam War Veteran and fellow Marine. He helped me to land my 1st job as a junior clerk on the NYSE trading floor which turned into a 27 year career. I’ve been paying it forward ever since. 

What got you interested in this organization (if you started the organization - what inspired you to do so)? I met my wife of 20 years at the NYSE. We were commuting to work on 9/11 and were 2 blocks away when the 1st plane hit. I knew that our country would be at war soon thereafter and I wanted to do what I could to help. My 1st act in supporting veterans was when I got a friend who was a Recon Marine veteran a job on the NYSE. He lasted around 6 months and decided it wasn’t for him. I later became Co-Chairman of the NYSE Veterans Committee. We did care package drives and we began a veteran associate program where transitioning Post 9/11 veterans would go through a 10 week paid internship at the NYSE. This sparked my interest in getting more involved with helping my fellow veterans. From there I became a member and leader of the American Legion, VFW, and Team RWB. I began my experience with the UWVC in 2016 as a parade volunteer. I loved the atmosphere of seeing veterans of all generations coming together in the largest veteran reunion in the country. I then became a UWVC Advisory Council Member, then VP, then President/Executive Director. I left Wall Street in 2020 to follow my passion and I haven’t looked back since.

What's your favorite thing about working in this field? I love working in this field because I’m able to be surrounded by my fellow veterans and veteran supporters. I started a health and wellness program for the UWVC which is now in its 6th year. I consider this my life’s work. We assist at-risk veterans dealing with a multitude of issues including PTS, TBI, Substance Abuse, and Homelessness through holistic, therapeutic, and social fitness outings that include; Equine therapy, horseback riding, art therapy, sailing, boating, and rucking. I’m grateful to have created such a wonderful circle of patriotic partners who have come together in support of veterans. Through the UWVC, I’ve had the honor of traveling overseas and forming relationships with our foreign allies and veterans. I’ve attended the Queen’s Birthday Celebrations in London and hosted a Presidential Visit along with many other extraordinary experiences that I would never have had if I chose to remain on Wall Street. 

How has community service involvement impacted your life? Community involvement has become an important part of my life. I remain a volunteer leader of other organizations and a volunteer member of others. I enjoy engaging with my local community along the Navesink River in NJ. I helped to organize the 1st Memorial Day Parade in my town in 50 years. I’ve volunteered with the Backpack Crew who donate meals to families in need and the Oyster Project which is a community effort to clean up the Navesink River by cultivating oysters in it, which is a green way of filtering the water. I love that I’m able to teach my son about our local ecosystem by having him volunteer alongside me.

Why should veterans and families use these services? Veterans and their families should attend or volunteer with the annual NYC Veterans Day Parade because it’s a way to connect with veterans and veteran supporters. For me, there’s nothing like seeing our WWII veterans who helped to save the free world and who are in their twilight years going up 5th Ave on their last hoorah. Or seeing Korean War Veterans who served in America’s “forgotten war” get the thanks they so rightfully deserve. Or Vietnam Veterans who were treated so terribly upon their return, to have someone say to them “Thank You For Your Service, Welcome Home.” This past year was particularly meaningful to me because I am a Desert Storm Veteran and it was the 30th anniversary. I’m happy in knowing Kuwait still remains a free country. And last but not least, this past year was the 20th anniversary of 9/11 which is where the GWOT began. The parade lets the veterans of this generation know that the country stands behind them. Most of the parade volunteers are civilians who want to show their support of our country’s veterans. Veteran supporters are a critical part of the veteran community because I believe the secret sauce of a successful transition is for veterans to engage with their communities.

What, in your opinion, is the most important thing soon-to-be-Veterans and their families should consider before leaving military service? I would encourage all military personnel who are considering leaving the military to begin the process of doing their research on support systems that are available to them 6 months prior to separation. Start networking. An easy way to do so is to volunteer with organizations that allow you to do something that you’re considering transitioning into in order to build up your contact list and add experience to your resume. Don’t think that your MOS is gonna determine what you’re going to do for the rest of your life. I started out as a Field Radio Operator and became an Airborne, Tactical Remote Sensor Operator and Surveillance Team Leader. That all has nothing to do with the path that I chose. When you leave the military, you will begin evolving into the next phase of your life. Don’t get caught looking back, the future is ahead of you.


Why this person? Mark is a really good human. His community service mindset coupled with his knowledge, experience, and genuine spirit enables him to continue to actively serve a wide audience. He takes pride in his role as Senior Official at the NYC Veterans Day Parade and loves being a part of so many veterans coming together to share their stories. His giant heart leads his every move and his drive for volunteerism, connection, and the veteran community continues to help him change many lives for the better.