Elena Leonard, Another Summit

In this series, we highlight those working in the Veteran and Military communities to help make reintegration and life a little better for everyone. We wanted to ask some of the common questions about how they got to where they are and how they inspire others to do more.

Interviewer: Stacey Ebert, Veteran Support Network


Organization
: Another Summit

Title in Organization: Operations Manager


Why Veterans? Veterans experience a lot of trauma and stress in their work, both physically and mentally. Being the daughter of a veteran who went through several deployments in his career, this cause is close to my heart.


What got you interested in this organization (if you started the organization - what inspired you to do so)?  I was originally introduced to the field of outdoor adventure and adventure therapy through my father, Aaron Leonard, who found his own passion in this work through the Sierra Club. Through their Outdoor Leader Certification Training, my eyes were truly opened to the world of adventure therapy and the good it can do. 


My father later introduced me to Guardian Revival, an organization that was founded in support of military and first responder veterans. When I received the amazing offer to work with them as the Operations Manager for their subchapter, Another Summit, I couldn’t say no.


What's your favorite thing about working in this field? I just love the sense of community and connection that can be found here.


How has community service involvement impacted your life? I've become much more motivated since working in this field. Previously, I struggled with a lack of purpose and drive, but now I’ve found that. 


Why should veterans and families use these services? I could copy and paste the tens of dozens of research papers that say spending time in nature has so many benefits, but the short of it is that we give people that push. A reason to go out into nature and reap the benefits, and to interact with an ever-growing community that wants nothing more than to help people find peace and purpose in their own life.


What, in your opinion, is the most important thing soon-to-be-Veterans and their families should consider before leaving military service? It's hard to say. I suppose in the end it's important to remember that there's others who have gone through and are going through the same thing, and no one has to do it alone.



Why this person? Elena has service in her blood. Using her skills, passion, purpose, and knowhow, she does her best to help ensure access to the benefits of adventure therapy for all. Outdoor adventure changed her world for the better and she works to help provide those same positive experiences for others.