Provider Profiles: Kelly Salvo, USAF, We Defy Foundation

 In this series, we highlight those working in the Veteran and Military communities to help make reintegration and life a little better for everyone. We wanted to ask some of the common questions about how they got to where they are and how they inspire others to do more.

Interviewer: Stacey Ebert, Veteran Support Network


Kelly and Jocko

Organization: We Defy Foundation

Title in Organization: Pacific Regional Coordinator

Why Veterans? (If you're a veteran, please include how you found the process of re-entry into civilian life) I was in the U.S. Air Force for almost 15 years.  I spent a lot of time working in positions with other military branches, foreign military, and civilians. My last assignment was in the Pentagon, and throughout my initial transition out of the military, I was incredibly fortunate to have mentors and friends who helped guide me along that journey.

When transitioning out of the military, finding gainful employment was the advertised concern; luckily, that wasn't an issue for me. I took the uniform off, picked up a defense contractor gig in my former office, worked weekends at a great music venue, and attended college full time. It wasn’t until later, after moving across the country to San Diego, California, when I realized that community and a support system were the important things I lacked. For the first time in years, I wasn't busy and occupied with the hustle of military, work, school, and other goals; that's when issues began. I had a lot of unresolved issues from my time prior to and in the service. After a rough and somewhat dark start in sunny San Diego, and a trip to a Wounded Warrior outreach event in Colorado (thanks, Steve O!), I checked into the local VA mental health facility. Under the guidance of the VA and other offered resources, I began to really study up on myself, and as I discovered them, explored other educational options. Staying active through fitness became something that helped keep me going, and fighting (in a controlled environment) was an outlet that I could both relate to and enjoy.

What got you interested in this organization? A few years ago I was training Muay Thai, boxing, and Jiu Jitsu, and spent the majority of my free time in the gym. An incredible video made its way around the internet showcasing a veteran, with missing limbs, competing in a Jiu Jitsu tournament. With a few other veterans, that veteran from the video, Joey Bozik, a veteran of the US Army, founded the non-profit We Defy Foundation.  The mission of the We Defy Foundation is to provide disabled veterans a long term means to overcome their challenges through Jiu Jitsu and fitness. The foundation was a great match for me. 

What's your favorite thing about working in this field? The community is my absolute favorite thing about working in this field. It’s possible that many people may not understand the community and social aspect of combat sports. While it’s true that in the cage, ring, or on the mat, it is a one-on-one fight scenario; it’s also true that behind each of those individuals is a committed group of humans who helped that fighter get there. Working with We Defy allows individuals to participate and be active in multiple communities at once. I support fellow veterans and service members while being involved in activities that I enjoy, surrounded by people I appreciate. This organization is all about community.

How has community service involvement impacted your life? Being able to give back to something that I've enjoyed throughout my life has made a huge impact. I often tell people to be selfish with their volunteering; find something they enjoy doing and they’ll find it utterly enjoyable to bust their ass doing it. For me, it is similar to the concept of "do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life."

Why should veterans and families use these services? Our services at We Defy Foundation can be truly helpful to transitioning veterans. We give newcomers that introduction and exploration to an activity that can provide a positive challenge, offer community, and help to maintain a healthier balance in life. 

What, in your opinion, is the most important thing soon-to-be-Veterans and their families should consider before leaving military service? No matter how long you have left on your service contract, start thinking and planning today. I thought I was a military "lifer," but an injury forced an adjustment to those seemingly well-laid plans. Prior to that transition to civilian life, learn about your options, create a general plan that suits you, and channel that flexibility needed to adjust that plan. Life happens fast.

Anything else you would like us to know about you, your past experiences, or advice for veterans? For more information on We Defy Foundation, check out the website and social media. www.wedefyfoundation.org IG:  @wedefyfoundation  FB: www.facebook.com/WeDefyFoundation

Ju Jitsu Group of We Defy Foundation

Why this person? Kelly has worked with The Mission Continues for years. Always with an eye for the greater good, Kelly quickly got to work on tasks at hand, easily led and connected with other volunteers, and throughout the day, always had a smile on his face. It’s not at all a surprise that he continues to bond with humans in ways that lift people up, share stories, and involve people in a safe way to join a community.