Provider Profiles: Roxana Mejia, Habitat for Humanity San Diego

In this series, we highlight those working in the Veteran and Military communities to help make reintegration and life a little better for everyone. We wanted to ask some of the common questions about how they got to where they are and how they inspire others to do more.

Interviewer: Stacey Ebert, Veteran Support Network

Name:
Roxana Mejia

Organization: San Diego Habitat for Humanity

Title: Director of Neighborhood Revitalization & Home Repair  

Why Veterans? I enlisted in the Navy for five years (2004-2009). During that time, I worked as a gas turbine mechanic in the engineering department on board two naval ships. I often find that while many of us become enamored with the idea of returning to civilian life, we don’t fully grasp the new challenges and opportunities that come with the territory. 


During the first two years after completion of my service, going to school was a soothing refuge. I am thankful to have enrolled in fellowships and internships, and about three years after transitioning to civilian life, I was able to find stable employment. It takes time and effort, but thankfully, nowadays, transitioning programs exist. 


What got you interested in this organization? At a very early age, while living in Honduras, I learned of Habitat for Humanity. Back in 1998, when Honduras was hit by one of the deadliest Atlantic hurricanes on record, thousands of people were left without their homes. I recalled seeing Habitat’s logo on small construction projects in underserved areas of the city; during that time they were rebuilding homes and providing those families with new shelter. 


Years later, I never imagined I was going to have an opportunity to work at Habitat. I was brought into the team by another fellow veteran who worked at Habitat. She had a very strong sense of community and empowered other veterans to, through home repairs, continue serving others. 


What's your favorite thing about working in this field? I get to design programs from the ground up. I first get to research a community and then draft programs based on their needs. This allows me to be a conduit for those communities and neighborhoods that have been disenfranchised and left behind by the system and also enables me to connect them with both federal and local resources. 


How has community service involvement impacted your life? Working and caring for a community or specific group of people who can benefit from your skills (any skill, no matter the size, is worth sharing), sometimes becomes a motivator to keep walking with purpose in life. 


Since I reentered the civilian workforce, I have been working in service-oriented non-profits. Having a sense of community and reconnecting with a community made me be more aware of the powerful need for social and environmental justice; plus, volunteering is fun!  


What, in your opinion, is the most important thing soon-to-be-Veterans and their families should consider before leaving military service? Find MENTORSHIP, SET-GOALS, seek GUIDANCE, foster COURAGE, and set up a strong SUPPORT network.


Anything else you would like us to know about you, your past experiences, or advice for veterans? I would tell future veterans to take advantage of all the great resources offered by many non-profit organizations. And, for both disabled and non-disabled veterans, to also take advantage of all the benefits offered by the Department of Veteran Affairs,. Having served in the military can open many doors in the workforce. It has been proven that, because we have learned discipline, commitment, we can step up into leadership roles and also be great team members, veterans are a great asset in many organizations.


Why this person?

From the interviewer: Less than one year after moving to San Diego, a high school friend introduced me to The Mission Continues. That October, we went to a volunteer event. At the time, Roxana was the platoon leader. This organized, energetic, kind human welcomed me in, put me at the registration table and within hours, we were instant friends. Her respectful manner, friendly demeanor, and quick and effective ability to make things happen allowed this fierce Navy Veteran to accomplish successful projects, foster community, and provide a welcome, safe space for all to volunteer.