Provider Profiles: Jacqueline Case, Master Sergeant (Ret), Veterans Without Orders

In this series, we highlight those working in the Veteran and Military communities to help make reintegration and life a little better for everyone. We wanted to ask some of the common questions about how they got to where they are and how they inspire others to do more.

Interviewer: Stacey Ebert, Veteran Support Network


Organization
: Veterans Without Orders

Title in Organization: Assistant Director

Why Veterans? It is an understatement to say it was hard to transition to civilian life. It is a process that requires a lot of patience and giving yourself grace. Six years later, I am still in transition. Most days I believe 'I'm there', and then, at times, it seems I'm back to day one. More than one retiree told me it would take five years or more to fully transition or at least feel somewhat comfortable in civilian life. That is why being involved with an organization such as VWO is vital - to maintain that sense of military camaraderie.


What got you interested in this organization (if you started the organization - what inspired you to do so)? John Nonnemaker, one of the founders, is a former supervisor; so, when I heard about Veterans Without Orders (VWO), I immediately contacted him and asked how I could contribute to the mission. VWO is fashioned after the Army Civil Affairs (CA) branch, which is focused on disaster response and humanitarian assistance. Having been a CA operator for over twenty years, I have the skillset – it was the perfect opportunity to continue serving as a retiree.


What's your favorite thing about working in this field? Helping the less fortunate; locally and especially in developing countries.


How has community service involvement impacted your life? It helps me stay grounded. Community service involvement is a win win. The work VWO does impacts communities in several ways, but most importantly, we empower women in developing countries to realize their ability to be the solution to their community's safe water needs. In turn, we (veterans) have a new purpose. Life does not end after military service, it is a new beginning.


Why should veterans and families use these services? VWO is not your typical veteran organization that offers/provides services to veterans and their families. However, families who have lost a loved one in combat may consider allowing us to memorialize them by dedicating a water mission in their name.


What, in your opinion, is the most important thing soon-to-be-Veterans and their families should consider before leaving military service? Speaking from personal experience, I think it's imperative to consider living in a community with like minded people (ie: other veterans) and if possible near a military base. It's hard to leave the military environment cold turkey. Allow oneself time to 'heal' from military service before moving on to new situations.

 

Anything else you would like us to know about you, your past experiences, or advice for veterans? When I enlisted in the Army in 1981, I could not envision what my life would entail during service or in retirement thirty-three years later. There were good days and bad days, but mostly good ones. I had experiences most people will never have. I missed countless family events, birthdays, and holiday gatherings, but I have no regrets. I would not trade my military service for anything. Military service is definitely character building – I highly recommend it.

 

Why this person? Jacqueline is a force of nature. Leveraging her skills and compassion, she focuses her strengths on empowering others to commit to community service and engage in global humanitarian efforts. Helping to lead the VWO team of innovative individuals who use their powers for good, Jacqueline unites, inspires, and continues to serve with a full heart.