Provider Profiles: Michael Sugrue, USAF, Save A Warrior

In this series, we highlight those working in the Veteran and Military communities to help make reintegration and life a little better for everyone. We wanted to ask some of the common questions about how they got to where they are and how they inspire others to do more.

Interviewer: Stacey Ebert, Veteran Support Network

Organization: Save A Warrior (SAW)

Title: SAW Ambassador

Why Veterans? I am an Air Force Veteran who served worldwide on active duty for almost 6.5 years. I served as a Security Forces Officer and honorably separated as a Captain in 2004. Immediately after the Air Force, I started a career in civilian law enforcement. After almost 14 years in civilian law enforcement, in 2018, I medically retired as a Police Sergeant. In addition to being an Ambassador for Save A Warrior, I am also an active Volunteer Peer for the West Coast Post Trauma Retreat (WCPR).

What is your favorite thing about working in this field? My life is now fully dedicated to helping First Responders, Active Military, and Veterans who are suffering in silence. After my personal recovery from Post Traumatic Stress Injury (PTSI), I am now focused on giving back and sharing my story so that others don’t make the same mistakes I did.

For many years, my inability to muster the strength and courage to ask for help almost ultimately cost me my life. The suicide rate amongst our Military Members and First Responders is an absolute epidemic.  The sad truth is that they are all much more likely to die by their own hands than the hands of another.  My whole purpose now is to help “smash the stigma” associated with asking for help and to put an end to this heartbreaking epidemic that affects too many of us.

How has community service impacted your life? Community service has given me a new purpose in life and has allowed me the opportunity to meet so many amazing Warriors who have given their all for our communities and country. At the height of my struggle with PTSI, I was isolating and had cut myself off entirely from almost everyone in my life. This isolation directly had a negative effect on my depression, anxiety and suicidal ideation. Now, I am fortunate to connect with new, amazing people on an almost daily basis. Knowing you aren’t alone and knowing there is help truly makes all the difference in this fight! Please connect if I can be of any help.

In addition to being a SAW Ambassador and WCPR Volunteer Peer; I also speak nationally on Trauma Recovery, Resiliency and Suicide Prevention.

Why should veterans and families use these services? I went through the Save A Warrior Program in August of 2020 and it has truly changed my life. After many years of recovery for PTSI, this program gave me that one final piece that I was missing. Save A Warrior is an original, Warrior-led, well-grounded and timeless journey for active-duty military, returning veterans, and first responders who feel desperately alone. Give them a week and you will change the way you see - and live - your life. Save A Warrior provides counseling services in the fields of mental health and wellness, suicide prevention, and post-traumatic stress to veterans, military personnel, police, firefighters, and other first responders. Please contact us for more details.

Save A Warrior provides an alternative, warrior-led, holistic service that equips veterans, military personnel, police, firefighters, and other first responders with a community of support and effective techniques to overcome the symptoms associated with post-traumatic stress and suicidal ideations.

Save A Warrior is also FREE to attend. Housing, meals, and the program are all provided and funded 100% by generous donations. The only cost is getting yourself to the program sites in either Ohio or Southern California. 

What, in your opinion, is the most important thing soon-to-be-Veterans and their families should consider before leaving military service? One of the most important things prior to leaving military service is ensuring that all of your service-connected injuries/disabilities are fully reported and documented. These documented injuries have a direct correlation on potential disability payments, medical coverage, and educational benefits for the rest of your life. As military members we are taught to “suck it up” and not complain. I’ve personally met many Veterans who have suffered physically and mentally for years and are losing out on much needed financial and medical support they are both legally entitled to and have rightfully earned. 

Anything else you would like us to know about you? I am currently working on my first book with co-author Dr. Shauna “Doc” Springer PhD. Dr. Springer is one of the nation’s leading experts on PTSD and transitional trauma. Our book is tentatively titled Fighting the Darkness: Winning the Battle Against Frontline Trauma. It will be out later this year.


Why this person? Michael's work aims to help others and save lives. He worked tirelessly in the military and in law-enforcement, and continues to do the same today in his volunteer work today. Michael knows first hand that working on recovery is difficult, courageous, beneficial, and life-changing and wants to help others know that no one need go through this journey alone. Hiking hills and blazing trails, Michael sets out to make a difference no matter the path he takes.