Provider Profiles: Lindsey Melki, US Army, Sierra Club Military Outdoors

In this series, we highlight those working in the Veteran and Military communities to help make reintegration and life a little better for everyone. We wanted to ask some of the common questions about how they got to where they are and how they inspire others to do more.

Interviewer: Stacey Ebert, Veteran Support Network


Organization: Sierra Club Military Outdoors 


Title: Senior Campaign Representative 


Why Veterans? After years of living under Don’t Ask Don’t Tell, I was counting down the days to my last day in uniform. When that day finally arrived it was a bit anticlimactic, so much so that I barely remember it today. What I do remember are the days that followed. I struggled to figure out what to do next, and looking back at that time now, I realize that I didn’t even know the right questions to ask. I struggled with my newfound loss of identity and purpose. I struggled to reconnect with family and friends. I had this vision, these expectations, of what I assumed my life would be once I left the military, but life had other plans. And through all of this I was not patient with myself. I kept wondering why I was having such a hard time. I’d think to myself that if I could fly a helicopter in a war zone for 15 months, surely I could figure out how to be a civilian again. 


My story is not unique. Change is hard for all of us, even good change. One of the reasons that I’ve stayed engaged, either on a volunteer or full-time basis, within the veteran community over the years is to try to soften the landing into the civilian world for some of my peers. 


What got you interested in this organization?  Shortly after leaving the military, I went on a weeklong backpacking trip with a group of veterans. Outside of occasional weekend car camping trips, this was my first time spending time outdoors that wasn't related to military training. After years of serving under Don't Ask Don't Tell, this was my first time since leaving the military that I was with a group of veterans and able to speak freely about my then-partner, now wife. This trip was transformative for me – it was my first time truly experiencing nature's ability to heal. Ever since this trip, I now consider spending time outdoors to be part of my mental healthcare plan, in addition to my weekly counseling appointment and other forms of self care. 


A handful of years later, I met my now colleague, Aaron Leonard, as he was building out the Sierra Club Military Outdoors programming in the northeast. Aaron’s passion for connecting veterans with nature was contagious. Soon enough, I volunteered to be a Sierra Club Military Outdoors outings leader, and this past fall, I was fortunate to join the team full-time as a Senior Campaign Representative. 


My primary responsibility is to manage our partnership around the country with the YMCA. We are working together to improve the health and well-being of veterans, members of the military, and their families through connections with the outdoors and each other, and to inspire them to become outspoken champions for environmental conservation and justice within their local communities. 


I feel that both as a volunteer and full-time team member I’m able to pay forward the privilege and good fortune that have allowed me to discover the positive impact the outdoors has on my health and life.    


What's your favorite thing about working in this field? There are a lot of barriers that prevent veterans, members of the military, and their families from getting outside. Some of these barriers lead to questions like: Where should I go? How much will it cost? What gear do I need? How do I get there? Will I feel comfortable once I get there? I enjoy helping my peers find answers to these questions and break through any barriers that prevent them from connecting with nature. 


How has community service involvement impacted your life? One of the first outings I co-led as a Sierra Club Military Outdoors outings leader was an overnight car camping trip for our single veteran moms group. My wife came with me, and she was a huge help. We both enjoy being outside and that’s where we spend a lot of our free time. It was great to be able to share the experience of being outside with a group of single veteran moms and their kids. When we got back home, we decided that in some capacity we wanted to always stay engaged in this space, continuing to empower and encourage other members of our communities to spend time outside. 


Why should veterans and families use these services? As a gay, woman veteran it’s not everyday that I find a space where I can bring my whole self. First as a participant, then volunteer, and now staff member I appreciate the deliberate planning and thoughtfulness our team brings to everything we do to make sure we are creating a welcoming, equitable, and inclusive space for all. 


What, in your opinion, is the most important thing soon-to-be-Veterans and their families should consider before leaving military service? Self-care. For me, this means going on a hike when I know I need it, staying physically active, attending my weekly counseling session with my therapist, and spending time with my family, friends, and pup. Figure out what self-care means to you, and do not compromise your self-care for anyone or anything. 


Anything else you would like us to know about you, your past experiences, or advice for veterans? No one does anything in this life alone. Don’t ever hesitate to ask for help. 



Why this person? Now heading up Sierra Club's new program aimed to get more veterans outdoors in four major cities, with a fierce desire to live her authentic truth and share the outdoors with veterans, Lindsey lives life with a big heart and compassionate spirit. With every story of exploring the benefits of the outdoors, she helps others see, share, and experience the healing love of nature.